Welcome to the RIKC Blog

Monday, December 3, 2012

Meet Bill - A Life Preview



Bill and his wife
In November of 1982, Bill was injured in a hunting accident on the opening day of deer hunting season. He became sick and fell out a deer blind, breaking his back. This year marks the 30th anniversary of Bill's accident.
"I just enjoy life and I owe a large part of this to the Rehabilitation Institute of KC for getting me back up and running (rolling)," explained Bill, who went through our medical rehabilitation programs. "They put me back together and got me on my way so I could get back in the world and be an asset to the community."
 
When Bill was discharged from the hospital, he was in a full body cast for six months. Bill's positive outlook on life kept him going: "I had my arms, so that was a blessing. You do the best you can with what you have."
This same active lifestyle led him to his current job as the I.T. Director at H.U.D. for Region VII in Kansas City Kansas. While playing wheelchair basketball with some friends, Bill was asked if he was interested in a part time job. That part-time job grew into a full-time career. "I found something I was good at -- working on computers, tearing them apart and putting them back together, working with my hands," he explained.

In addition to his career, Bill continues to hunt to this day. He is a part of a handicap hunting club and has even modified his boat and ATV to make them accessible. 

Bill does not let his injury hold him back, explaining that he lives on a farm, and commutes 140 miles to work each day.

"There's not really much I don't do, other than walk," explained Bill. "I just go about it a different way."


Welcome to The Victory Blog!

This is a place for sharing stories of personal growth, strength, small and large successes, and the most relevant topics regarding our services. We hope you will enjoy the journey with us as we continue to build brighter futures for people of all ages who have experienced a limiting condition such as brain injury, stroke, or developmental disability.