Welcome to the RIKC Blog

Monday, December 17, 2012

Finding New Normal After Stroke

Phil Griffin is the Score Board Operator for the Kansas City Chiefs.  On January 10th, he experienced a stroke that affected the left side of his body.  After going through RIKC’s Medical Rehabilitation Program, he is currently working with the RIKC Driving Program to return to his busy lifestyle.  In this latest blog post, he reflects on life after stroke.

Cannot drive yet - what frustration. It’s difficult relying on others for things I used to be able to do.  I don’t feel sorry for myself, though – always ready to start my next adventure. I used to shave left to right.  Now I shave right to left.  I’m learning to do things differently and starting to get into a routine that works for me.  Every day, I get up and work from home at one of my part-time jobs, assigning basketball officials for the metro.  Then I go for my walk to the coffee shop and talk to the guys.  We always solve world problems, which energizes me every day.  It’s important to feel like I’m still contributing – that I’m a part of a community. I’m lucky that my stroke hasn’t prevented me from continuing to work.  I know the Chiefs are losing, but I’m proud to work the scoreboard and the crew has been great to me.  I received a nice email from my boss at the Chiefs telling our crew we did a great job this year so far.  It meant a lot because sometimes I wonder if people know I had a stroke.  I don’t want people to baby me. 

I’ve noticed since the stroke that I am more careful about what I’m doing.  I survey every situation now.  I do a lot of walking.  I still have trouble walking stairs, so I have to be careful.  If there is an elevator, I use it.  I avoid different difficult situations like a gymnasium.  I always walk on the right side of an entrance so I can use my good arm for balance and avoid crowds if I can.  I’m still trying to define what’s normal for me.  It’s great to appreciate the little things, but also to stay busy.  I’ve learned how important it is to keep my brain busy.  Since my stroke, I’ve wanted to do something that helps stroke survivors like me live a normal life.  I feel that if you help somebody else, you’re also helping yourself; and that’s life in a nutshell.
Welcome to The Victory Blog!

This is a place for sharing stories of personal growth, strength, small and large successes, and the most relevant topics regarding our services. We hope you will enjoy the journey with us as we continue to build brighter futures for people of all ages who have experienced a limiting condition such as brain injury, stroke, or developmental disability.