Welcome to the RIKC Blog

Friday, November 16, 2012

A Dog's Tale


Hello!  My name is Finley and I am a black lab with a big job! I am a therapy dog for the Rehabilitation Institute of Kansas City (RIKC).  I come from a long line of companion animals. My great-great Cousin Smoky helped her human companions in World War II by running a telephone cable through an underground pipeline and providing comfort and entertainment to the troops.  She was a brave dog.  I have brothers and sisters who help people in nursing homes, schools, and hospitals.  I feel the luckiest of all because I get to help children like Amy relearn how to do everyday activities like brushing her teeth, dressing herself, and walking all on her own.  She’s in my therapy group every week, working as hard as she can to return to being the active little girl I know she can be!  

Did you know the average human walks 10,000 steps each day?  When Amy first came to RIKC after her accident (RIKC staff tell me it’s called a Traumatic Brain Injury or TBI), she could not walk at all.  After weeks of therapy, and a lot of my kisses, she can now walk more than a mile without much assistance.  Someday soon, she’s going to be faster than me!  I will have to run to keep up with her, but I don’t mind.  I love Amy and all my friends at RIKC.

My family tells me this blog is going to share some stories with you throughout the year about what’s going on at RIKC.  Every once in awhile, you will get to hear a few stories with me, but even better, many times you’ll get to hear stories from former participants in our programs!  We’ll try to post the occasional event or program update for you, too, because I’d love for you to come to our events so you can shake my paw! 


Happy reading,


 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
Ms. Finley, Therapy Dog

Welcome to The Victory Blog!

This is a place for sharing stories of personal growth, strength, small and large successes, and the most relevant topics regarding our services. We hope you will enjoy the journey with us as we continue to build brighter futures for people of all ages who have experienced a limiting condition such as brain injury, stroke, or developmental disability.